Park Detroit is the official parking solution for the City of Detroit
© 2024 All rights reserved.
5200 Woodward Ave, Detroit, MI 48202
Detroit is home to one of the premiere art museums in the United States, the Detroit Institute of Arts. The museum became one of the largest and most diverse art collections over several decades, beginning with the original museum which opened in 1888. It was initially funded by newspaper magnate James E. Scripps, advertiser William H. Brearley and several other prominent citizens. The museum moved to its present location in October 1927. The Italian Renaissance/Beaux-Arts structure was designed by Paul Phllippe Cret, and was renovated to add new wings in 1966 and 1971, followed by a major new renovation in November 2007 entitled the Master Plan Project. The institution houses many famous works of art, including Diego Rivera’s “Detroit Industry, or Man and Machine”, works by Picasso, Rodin, Georgia O'Keeffe, John James Audubon and Rembrandt, in addition to many ancient and historical examples of artwork.
Image citation: “Detroit Institute of the Arts” by Andrew Jameson on Wikimedia is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0.
No upcoming events